In September 2017, President Benson charged the Model Taskforce with engaging Model stakeholder groups to develop recommendations for moving Model forward in the face of looming fiscal and facilities challenges. The Taskforce conducted a series of interviews, town halls, and small group discussions over a four-week period. More than 300 Model community stakeholders participated in these sessions, while 307 individuals completed a web-based survey. Generally, feedback indicates that the need for a new facility and stronger ties to the University are the primary areas of concern for stakeholders. Faculty, staff, students, parents, and community members indicate that strong academic programming, engagement, and sense of community are unique to Model. These characteristics form the foundation for the success of Model students and the School.
November 28, 2017
A Town Hall meeting was held on November 27, 2018 with parents, faculty, staff, and community members to discuss what the November 15th Board or Regents vote means and the next steps in this process. The presentation slides and FAQ document are below.
November 15, 2017
Wednesday the EKU Board of Regents heard the task force recommendations and authorized the University to further explore a charter school application. There will be a lot of conversation moving forward to determine what is in the best interest of Model Laboratory School, its students and the continued partnership with Eastern Kentucky University. The Board recognizes there is great concern over the ability to allow current Model students to continue their education at the school they know and love, and any viable solutions moving forward will require accommodation of existing Model Lab students. We have a lot to explore in the weeks and months ahead.
The next steps in the process are to:
- Conduct an open town hall on Monday, November 27th in the Perkins Building from 6-8pm.
- Engage stakeholder groups in a strategic vision and planning initiative to guide the charter application process and transition.
- Establish a Model Steering Committee and Charter Application Drafting Committee by December 15th.
- Evaluate resources needed to ensure adequate support for the planning, application, and transition phases of the process.
- The Office of Development and Alumni Relations will work to identify a fundraising team and dedicate staffing resources to the Model campaign.
- Parent and alumni leaders will be asked to dedicate time and resources to working with the Development team to create a fundraising plan.
You can also contact the taskforce with questions at ModelTaskforce@eku.edu.