President Announces Leadership in Action Academy
Eastern Kentucky University President Michael Benson has announced the launch of the President’s Leadership in Action Academy (PLAA), effective this fall.
The PLAA is open to all faculty and staff who exhibit potential for effective leadership and career advancement. Up to 10 participants will be accepted into the inaugural class; the Academy is based on a one-year cycle.
“Having participated as a presenter at various leadership academies on campuses throughout the U.S., I recognize their role in exposing participants to issues throughout an institution, from budgeting to legislative lobbying to student affairs to fundraising to athletics,” Benson said. “The Academy is designed to give those interested faculty and staff experience in all these areas and more and is a way for EKU to develop an emerging cohort ready to tackle the challenges ahead.”
Academy participants will have the opportunity to:
· participate in quality professional development experiences.
- increase their awareness of the complexity of issues facing the University and postsecondary education in general.
- expand their understanding of the environment in which University decisions are made.
- develop and implement a solution to a challenge faced by the University through a cohort project.
- put leadership into action through an internship.
- serve as program mentors with subsequent classes, putting leadership into action.
· serve, as Academy alumni, on and/or lead internal and external committees related to the University.
Candidates can be nominated, or nominate themselves, using the Nomination and Application form at president.eku.edu (click President’s Leadership in Action Academy). To be considered for the inaugural class, materials are due by Feb. 28.
Published on February 10, 2014