U.S. Veterans Magazine Ranks EKU among Top Veteran-Friendly Schools
Eastern Kentucky University has achieved yet another national honor for the services it provides U.S. military veterans and their dependents. U.S. Veterans magazine ranks EKU among 145 Top Veteran-Friendly Schools for 2014.
Home to 1,435 veterans and dependents, EKU has twice earned a No. 1 national ranking (2010 and 2012) from Military Times magazine in its annual “Best for Vets: Colleges” issue. It has been recognized by G.I. Jobs magazine as a Military Friendly School each of the past five years.
EKU was named a VetSuccess University by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and boasts a full-time VA employee on staff to assist veterans with their benefits issues.
In 2010, Eastern launched Operation Veteran Success, a series of initiatives designed to make the university even more veteran-helpful. These initiatives include:
· No admission fees for undergraduate veterans.
· In-state tuition for all out-of-state veterans nationwide.
· Maximum credit hours for military experience.
· Priority registration.
· Book vouchers and Books for Boots Exchange Library.
· Veterans Bridge to College Success cohort classes.
· Veterans orientation course.
· Veteran-helpful withdrawal and readmission policy.
· Vet-2-Vet sponsorship program and active Vets Club.
· Recreational and other extracurricular activities.
· Specially designated housing for student veterans.
· Veteran Studies minor, believed to be the nation’s first, to help those who haven’t served in the military to better understand the issues that veterans face, and to help the veterans themselves deal with those issues.
In 2013, EKU partnered with Kentucky River Foothills, a local non-profit organization, to obtain federal funding to help veterans in transition find and maintain suitable housing. Since the grant’s implementation, the funds have helped more than 100 student veterans.
The EKU Military and Veterans Affairs Office is located at 317 Lancaster Ave., near the Richmond campus. For more information about opportunities and services available to veterans and their dependents at EKU, visit va.eku.edu or call 859-622-2345.
Published on September 04, 2014