The B.F.A. in painting provides you with an in-depth knowledge of painting using both traditional and contemporary techniques. You begin your course of study with ART 210: Painting I where you will be introduced to basic painting techniques and concepts, perceptual skills and the use of color. As you progress through your B.F.A. program, you will be required to take supporting courses in order to build on your personal style and artistic philosophies, as well as advanced painting courses which will expand your abilities in:
- Figure painting.
- The use of varying types of media.
- Appropriateness of media and technique and how it relates to imagery and content.
- Personal expression through imagery and technique.
- Professional development with the preparation of an exhibit of your work, writing of a thesis and portfolio development.
You will also subjected to individual and group critiques of your work as you progress through the program as a form of evaluation. This helps to prepare you for juried exhibits and a professional career in painting.
Our Studio facilities include:
- Dedicated studio spaces with both natural and artificial light sources.
- Easels and storage space for student work and materials;
- Equipment clean up areas.
- Space for work on large canvases and for setting up complex subjects or figure poses.
- Wood-working shop for frame building.
- Spray room.