Using the Course Tiles view in Blackboard
Blackboard lets users choose to see their courses in "list view" or "tiles view." Here's the difference:
Users select the view by clicking the buttons at the top left above their entries: All users can have whichever view they prefer, and can switch at any time.
- If no tile image has been uploaded, the tile displays a photo from a random collection of "default" images, from nature and geometric designs.
- Instructors can set the tile image for a course by clicking the "pencil" icon on the tile, which appears when the cursor is placed over the existing image.
- It is VERY IMPORTANT to note that whatever image you select for the tile automatically becomes the "banner" for the course, displayed on the Announcements page.
- Note -- if you upload a banner from inside your course, that image automatically becomes the tile image; these two things are intimately connected.
Instructors, please note the following requirements and conditions for your tile images (and course banners):
- Focus your attention on creating a good tile image, even if you prefer viewing your courses in the list view. Many of your students will use the tiles view!
- The correct dimensions for the tile image are stated as 1200 by 300 pixels. Any image beyond those dimensions may be very distorted.
- If you have a course banner that you love, be sure to save it to your computer before you start working with tile images.
- We have provided some stunning EKU-related images that you can use as the background for your tiles, along with directions for editing them.
- When you add any text to an image, be sure to keep it centered and allow generous padding at the right and left.
- It is possible to make beautiful tile images with the free logo-creation site Cooltext. We provide directions to use Cooltext through our Blackboard Help site.
As always, your source for excellent help with Blackboard is through our IT Service Desk, at 859-622-3000.