You can stop students from printing a test through the browser (and from copying material into the system’s clipboard) by adding a special code to the Instructions area of the Test Information page.
- Open the Test Information page from the Test Canvas, by clicking the down arrow next to the title of your test, and selecting Edit.
- Direct your attention to the Instructions box.
- Very important step: On the box for Instructions, look on the toolbars for the "HTML" button and click it, to open the HTML Code View window.
- Copy-and-paste the following line into the HTML Code View window:
- At the bottom of the HTML Code View window, click to "Update" your work. The Instructions box will not display anything about the script.
- Add any other instructions you desire, and then click Submit to save your changes.
- After you deploy the test, use your pretend-student account to check that your controls are working as you expect.
- If you come back to the Test Information page, to make changes to the Instructions area, be sure to open the HTML Code View window to check that the special code is still there. If you see the words "Please do not copy or print this page" in the Instructions, or if you look at the HTML Code View and notice the word "defer" inside the special code, replace the entire line with a fresh copy from above.
- With that line in place, students will be unable to print or copy the test questions through their browser software.
- If you (as instructor) want to print the test, you must delete the script from the Instructions. (To do this, you must open the HTML Code View window.)
There is NO WAY TO PREVENT ALL PATHS TO PRINT AN ONLINE TEST. Inserting the script posted here prevents printing through the browser, but it is impossible to prevent anyone from using a camera to photograph whatever is displayed on a computer monitor, unless you try to prevent photography by employing human proctors and also require students to have no eyeglasses or pens or watches or other devices that might conceal cameras. (And you must use some other way to prevent use of screen capture software.)