Bb has developed a way for instructors to give audio/video feedback to individual students, from the Grading page for Assignments, tests, and graded discussion forum posts.
The idea is that you click a button in the Feedback box to start recording (using your computer's microphone and webcam), and then post your recording to the student. Then the student views the recording while reviewing the grade.
To use it, follow this path:
- From your Grade Center, open the Grade Details page for any file submission, test or graded discussion forum.
- On the Grade Details page, click Grade Attempt
- At the right side, click the narrow blue line (under the Attempt score box) to reveal the Feedback to Learner area.
- On the toolbar at the bottom of the Feedback to Learner box, click the "A" icon, to open the full content editor.
- On the third toolbar, at the left end, click the "microphone" icon. You'll need to "allow" the system to use your microphone and camera. (If you don't see three toolbars, click the double-down-arrow at the right end of the toolbar.)
- Click the big red button to start recording. If you want to include video, click the "camera" icon first. While recording you can click to pause it, and after you click to stop you can review it or delete it and start again. Click "Save and exit" to finish this step.
- You must click "Insert Recording" to get it placed in the feedback box. (You have the option to change the name of the Recording before you click that button.)
- If you want to type anything to the student, just add it to the feedback box. Click Submit and you'll go back to the grading page, where you must again click Submit to complete the process.
- This video recording feature is currently limited to the Feedback box on the Grading page, for use by instructors for Assignments, graded discussion forums, and tests. It is not available through the Rubric tool.
- To use it for discussion forum posts, the forum must be set for grading.
- The recordings are visible only to you (and other instructors) and the individual students. We do not know how it works for feedback on Group assignments.
- This feature will eventually become available through the Content Editor in other areas of Blackboard. If you want to post a Recording somewhere else in your course, you can do so now by clicking to view it (from the Grade Details page), copying the URL from the popup window, and then pasting that URL through the "embedded media" option in the new location. For details, email email@example.com.
- These recordings do not (yet) provide features for accessibility (such as captions), so they must be used wisely.