Application for Admission
The application deadline for the graduate psychology programs is March 1st.
Applications are now submitted online via the Graduate School. To apply online, go to the Graduate School online application.
Prerequisites for admission to the program include:
- Admission to the Graduate School (622-1742), Eastern Kentucky University. (Prerequisites and the Application are located on the Graduate School website).
- A minimum of five undergraduate courses in psychology: general psychology, statistics, experimental, and two other courses acceptable to the department admission committee.
- The Graduate School requires a minimum overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.5, or 2.75 for the last 60 hours. Students receiving clear admission to graduate programs in psychology usually have an overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores must meet Departmental requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation sent directly to the Psychology Department, two related to the undergraduate major, with at least one from faculty. Please print the attached letter and complete all of the information requested on this form and give a signed copy to each person you ask to write a letter of recommendation. The recommender will return the form directly to the department along with your letter of recommendation.
Admission is competitive and limited to available space. Meeting the minimum requirements, therefore, does not guarantee admission.
- EKU Graduate School Application. The Graduate School application process can be completed online
- Official Academic Transcripts
- GRE scores
- Letters of Recommendation (Letters should be addressed to: Psychology Master’s Program Admission Committee, Department of Psychology, Eastern Kentucky University, 521 Lancaster Ave., Richmond, KY 40475)
- Please print the attached letter; letter writers should be asked to address your academic experiences and preparation for graduate school
- Resume/Vita (This also may be addressed to: Psychology Master’s Program Admission Committee, Department of Psychology, Eastern Kentucky University, 521 Lancaster Ave., Richmond, KY 40475)
- Personal Statements should include a description of professional goals and objectives, and reasons for wishing to attend graduate school at EKU
The majority of our graduate students receive part-time assistantships in the department. These assistantships allow our students to gain experience in teaching, research, or service and are accompanied by a stipend and partial tuition waiver.
The minimum criteria for holding an assistantship include:
- You must have applied for and been clearly admitted to a graduate degree program at EKU.
- You must maintain at least a 3.0 (B) overall graduate grade point average. If it is your first semester as a Graduate student, you will not have a graduate GPA.
- You must maintain full-time graduate enrollment while on an assistantship (minimum of 9 semester hours of graduate credit in fall and spring).
Additional Graduate Assistant positions are posted on EKU’s employment website. Contact the department you are interested in working for to obtain detailed information on available assistantships and on how to apply.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Background checks are required of all graduate assistants. Students nominated for graduate assistantships must submit their information via the Human Resources Online Employment System to authorize initiation of the background check. You will be notified within 7 to 10 days of the outcome of the background screening.