For more information on roommate matching,
please visit our Roommate Matching and Room Selection page.
What is Room Selection?
Room Selection gives you the opportunity to pick your living space for the Fall of 2023! In order to select your space, you must complete the Housing Application. The Housing Application is currently available for continuing students (sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What halls am I eligible to live in?
A: You will only be able to see the Residence Halls you are eligible for when you complete your application. Grand Campus requires 60+ earned credit hours and be a returning or transfer student by the first day of Fall semester OR be 21 years old by the first day of Fall semester. South Hall requires 30+ earned credit hours and be a returning or transfer student by the first day of Fall semester OR be 21 years old by the first day of Fall semester. Remember to verify that you and your desired roommate meet the credit hour requirement. Credit hours are determined by your earned cumulative and current credit hours combined.
Q: I am unable to find the person in the system with whom I want to live, what do I do?
A: Please ensure that you know what your roommate put down as their web screen name so that you can search for them. Also, they MUST have a completed housing application on file for them to show up in the system for you to match.
Q: I want to pull in an incoming first year student, what do I do?
A: If you plan to live with an incoming first year student, you must email the housing office and include the name and ID number of the person you wish to live with in the email, as well as include the other student in the email. That individual must reply to confirm the desire to live with you.
Q: I have been accepted into an LLC, what does that mean for room selection?
A: If you have been accepted into a Living Learning Community, you will only see spaces in your community and other students who are in the same LLC. You will not have the option to pull in a roommate that is not in a LLC. If you wish to opt out of a LLC, please email housing.
Q: Can I retain my current space for the next academic term.
A: No, students are unable to retain their current housing assignment. We encourage students to explore other Residence Halls or other floors in their current halls.
Q: Do I need to pay anything to select my room?
A: Before you can select your room, you must complete the Housing Application. To complete the application, you must pay $200 non-refundable payment, which is applied to your Fall 2021 account if you live on campus.
Q: How are selection times generated?
A: Selection dates and times are generated at random for each class. You class is determined by your completed credit hours plus your enrolled credit hours on February 23 (January 31 for Grand Campus) for returning students.
Q: What if I want to live with my friend?
A: You will have the option to pull in a roommate during Room Selection. Both students need to agree to live with one another. The student with the first lottery date and time may pull in the student they are interested in living with, but each student must ensure they have completed the Housing Application.
Q: What if I don’t apply for Housing until late Spring?
A: We will have additional information available at a later date regarding steps to secure your space after Room Selection has been completed.
Q: What if I want to live in Grand Campus?
A: Students with 60+ earned credit hours and are returning or transfer students by the first day Fall semester OR are 21 years old by the first day Fall semester are welcome to live at Grand Campus. The Room Selection process is separate for those interested. Visit our Grand Campus selection page to learn more.
Q: What if I am unable to pay the prepayment at this time?
A: For students demonstrating extreme financial need, a prepayment deferment may be available. A deferment may be granted on an as-need basis. A request for deferment must be accompanied by documentation showing financial need. Please visit the Housing Portal and select Request Info to access the prepayment deferment request.
Q: What if I am a returning student with less than 30 hours earned (and registered for combined) on February 23rd?
A: Your class standing is determined by your earned credit hours and your enrolled credit hours on February 24th. If you are under the 30 credit hours and are a returning student, you will be able to select in rising Sophomore time between March 21-25. Please be advised that 30 or more combined hours are still required to be eligible to select South Hall.
About the Housing Application
- The Housing Application can be found in your Housing Portal.
- This application MUST be completed by all students who plan to live on campus in the Fall of 2023.
- The non-refundable $100 Housing Commitment Fee must be paid to complete the application.
- Please complete the Roommate Questionnaire in the Housing Application honestly. This will be used to assist in matching you with another student.
- To be a part of the Priority Selection room selection process, you must apply before February 8. Completing your Housing Application early does NOT guarantee you will have first choice of room selection.
- To be a part of the General Selection room selection process, you must apply before March 1.
- To be a part of the Open Selection room selection process, you must apply before March 10. Students who complete their housing application after this date will not be able to select from available spaces until July.
- If you would like to live in a Living Learning Community, complete the LLC application as part of the Housing Application. Additional information about placement will be available during the Room Selection process.
Important Notes about Room Selection
- Room Selection will begin in February. Check your EKU email for additional details.
- Your Housing Application for Fall of 2023 must be completed one of the deadlines above to be eligible to select your space.
- Your class standing is determined by your completed credit hours plus your enrolled credit hours on the date of the deadline you meet. You will receive an email to your EKU email address with the date and time you can choose your space.
- Completing your Housing Application early does not guarantee an early selection time.
- If you are accepted into a Living Learning Community, you will only be able to select a room that is part of the LLC and only match with roommates who are also in the LLC.
- The individual that has the earliest Room Selection can select a room for both students, but both students must verify in the housing system that you wish to live with one another.
- Grand Campus will remain open over break periods throughout the academic year.
- Residents who require housing during any break period(s) must pay the Break Housing flat rate of $750. This rate allows you to stay over all break periods throughout the Academic Year. If you do not pay this rate, you will not have access to your space during Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring breaks.
- Please note, all residence halls will remain open during Fall Break.
Choosing a Roommate
- If you have someone you would like to live with, you can add a roommate to your group during Room Selection.
- Talk to your friends and develop a plan prior to Selection time. Remind everyone to complete their Housing Application.
- All students must be willing to live with one another.
- The student with the earliest room selection date and time can select a room for both students, but both individuals must agree to live together, in the Residence Hall that was selected.
- Roommate matching begins on February 7.
- If you do not have a roommate, you can use the roommate match capability in the system. This gives you an opportunity to see how similar other students are to you, based on the Roommate Questionnaire you completed with your application. Only students in need of a roommate will be searchable during the process.
Dates to Remember
- February 7 – Roommate matching begins for eligible students
- February 8 – Deadline to complete Housing Application to participate in Priority Room Selection
- February 9-10 – Students eligible for Priority Selection notified of lottery times
- February 13-16 – Verified Roommate Groups of 4 can select a Grand Campus Space
- February 17-20 – Verified Roommate Groups of 2-3 can select a Grand Campus Space
- February 20 – Priority Selection lottery times begin for Rising Seniors
- February 22 – Priority Selection lottery times begin for Rising Juniors
- February 27 – Priority Selection lottery times begin for Rising Sophomores
- March 2 – Priority Room Selection ends
- March 1 – Deadline to complete Housing Application to participate in General Room Selection
- March 2-3 – Students eligible for General Selection notified of lottery times
- March 6-9 – General Selection times begin
- March 10 – Open Selection for all returning students begins
- March 20 – Returner Room Selection closes
Check out our video on the Room Selection process.