Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a temporary employment authorization for F-1 students directly related to their major fields of study. Students are eligible for 12 months of OPT per degree level. Students holding certain science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degree may be eligible for an additional 24 months of OPT. OPT is authorized by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), but recommended by OISSS. The following are OPT types:
F-1 students on OPT are required to report to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services within 10 days the following information:
- Name and address of employer
- Loss or termination of employment
- Change of employer
- Change of Address
- Ending OPT early and leaving the U.S.
- Change of immigration status (e.g. F-1 to H-1B) etc.
Please select a form below below to report the correct information.
- 12-Month Post-completion OPT Employment or Unemployment
- 12-Month Post-completion OPT Change of Employer
- 24-Month STEM OPT Change of Employer
- 24-Month STEM OPT Validation Report (6, 12, and 18-month)
- Change of Address (including change of phone number or email)
- Leaving the U.S. and Ending OPT Early
- Change of Immigration Status (E.g. from F-1 to H-1B)
OPT Reporting Requirement
While you are on the 12-month OPT or the 24-month STEM OPT extension, you are still in F-1 student status and considered an EKU student and so you must continue reporting to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) the following information:
Student Reporting Requirements
There are several reporting requirements for students while on the STEM OPT extension. All reporting must be submitted to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) using the appropriate OPT Reporting Form above.
Please note, any changes you report to us will be entered in your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) record.
1. General Reporting
During the STEM OPT extension period, the student must report to OISSS the following changes within 10 days of change:
- Change of legal name
- Change of residential or mailing address
- Change of employer name, employer address and/or loss of employment
- Change in employers (this requires a new completed and signed I-983 Training Plan)
- Change of status (e.g. change from F-1 to H-1B etc.)
- Departing U.S. before OPT end date
2. Six Months Validation Reports
Students must submit validation reports every 6 months (6th, 12th, and 18th month) from the start of STEM OPT extension to OISSS to confirm that student’s name, U.S. residential address, employer name and address, and employment status are correct. OISSS must then submit a validation report in your SEVIS record. The validation report should be submitted to OISSS at least 10 days before due dates. OISSS will give you estimated validation date at the time you apply for OPT STEM Extension.
3. Student Self-Evaluations
Students must submit a self-evaluation at the end of any employment and at the 12 and 24 month marks from the start date of the STEM extension. Students must complete and sign a self-evaluation on Form I-983 and obtain employer’s signature verifying accuracy of self-evaluation.
4. Material Changes to the Existing Training Plan Form I-983
If there are material changes to or deviations from the Form I-983 the student and employer must sign a modified training plan reflecting the material changes. The student must then submit the Form to OISSS within 10 days.
Material changes include, but are not limited to:
- Change in employer’s EIN (Employer Identification Number)
- Reduction in your compensation that is not tied to a reduction in hours worked
- A significant decrease in hours worked per week
- Changes to the employer’s commitments or your learning objectives
Employer Reporting Requirements
- The employer MUST complete and sign the Training Plan on Form I-983 along with the student.
- The employer is required to report to OISSS any job termination or early departure of an OPT student within five business days.
- The employer must consider a student to have departed when the employer knows the student has left the practical training opportunity or if the student has not reported for work for a period of five consecutive business days without the employer’s consent.
Employers should report the termination or departure of an EKU student who is on the STEM OPT Extension by emailing us.