Interested in learning how to swim or improving your technique? Register today for Group Swim Lessons.
Each lesson is 40 minutes long and will take place twice a week in the Aquatic Center. Four different levels of lessons are offered. All lessons are ages 3 +. The next session of Group Swim Lessons will begin the week of April 17th nd run through May 11th. Member and non-member rates are available. To register for classes, visit the Campus Recreation self-service portal.
For more information about facilities, visit the Aquatic Center page on our site.
Orients children to the aquatic environment and helps them gain basic aquatic skills. Children will gain greater independence in their skills and develop more comfort in and around water. Skills used, with support, include:
- Enter and exit water using ladder, steps, or slide.
- Enter water by stepping into pool.
- Blow bubbles through mouth and nose.
- Submerge mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Open eyes under water and retrieve submerged objects.
- Front and back glides and recover to a vertical position.
Helps children start to gain independence in the water in addition to gaining basic swimming propulsive skills to be comfortable in and around water.
- Enter water by jumping in.
- Full submerge and hold breath.
- Front jellyfish and tuck floats.
- Change direction of travel while swimming on front or back.
- Roll from front to back and back to front.
- Tread water with arm and hand actions.
- Alternating and simultaneous leg and arm actions on front and back.
Gives participants success with fundamental skills. Recommended for ages 6 and up.
- Enter and exit water by stepping or jumping from the side.
- Open eyes underwater and retrieve submerged objects.
- Recover to vertical position.
- Tread water using arm and leg actions.
- Finning arm action on front and back.
- Combined arm and leg actions on front and back.
Participants are ready to improve technique and increase stamina. Must be comfortable in deep water and able to swim the width of the pool. Recommended for ages 6 and up.
- Skill review.
- Survival and water rescue skills.
- Endurance treading and floating.
- Flutter, dolphin, and breaststroke kicks.
- Competitive swimming technique, including freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly.
If you have any questions or concerns related to Group Swim Lessons or the Aquatic Center, please feel free to contact the Assistant Director of Aquatics, Kevin Knezevich, via email or by phone: (859)622-0265.