Select Page
Home 9 Counselor Education 9 Professional Liability Insurance

Professional Liability Insurance

A document labeled "Professional Liability Insurance"

The Counselor Education program requires that all students carry a professional liability insurance policy before enrolling in any clinical or skill-related course and maintain it through the completion of internship. This means that students must purchase an insurance policy before enrolling in COU 846.

Students may purchase this liability insurance from any provider granted it explicitly covers counselors/counselors in training. A common provider for professional counselors’ liability insurance is Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO), and insurance from this provider can also be obtained through the American Counseling Association (ACA) and membership to it. Students are encouraged to purchase HPSO coverage as its assured that it covers counselors/counselors in training and is further incentive to obtain membership to ACA, especially as membership may afford a discount in the purchasing of HPSO liability insurance. Students may also consider purchasing this insurance through the American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA) as it too provides insurances to its student members. Regardless of the insurance provider, the policy must include a minimum of $1,000,000 per claim and $3,000,000 aggregate. Because the policy offered through the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) membership fails to meet this requirement, school counseling students cannot use this as a liability insurance policy provider.

Department of Clinical Therapeutic Programs


521 Lancaster Ave
Wallace Building, 201
Richmond, KY - 40475
Phone: (859) 622-1125


Connect with CTP @ EKU