- EKU Student Nurses Giving Vaccine to Fight COVID-19 EKU Stories 03/24/21
- EKU Nursing Students to Help With COVID-19 Vaccinations WKYT News Video 01/19/21
EKU offers a specially sequenced progression plan (21 month) BSN option for those holding a baccalaureate degree in another field of study. A minimum GPA requirement of 2.5 must be met on the graduating GPA of the bachelor’s degree you previously received. Spaces are limited and admission is competitive and based on a review of all required material submitted with the application packet and the entire academic history.
Course pre-requisites include (15-16 credits) Anatomy and Physiology I (BIO 307), Anatomy and Physiology II (BIO 308), Microbiology (BIO 273 or MLS 209), Nutrition (NFA 201), and Statistics (STA 215 or STA 270). The science and the nutrition classes must be completed within the last five years prior to entering the program. These may be completed full time or part time at EKU or other institutions. To compare equivalences from the classes you have already taken go to this Transfer link.
Nursing requirements (65 credits), include both theory and clinical. These may be earned only at EKU’s School of Nursing as a full-time student.
Applicants are admitted to EKU’s 2nd degree program once each year in August. Applications are due March 1st of every year for the program that begins the next August. Students will be admitted to the nursing coursework in August, complete coursework at the end of the 5th semester, be eligible for graduation from EKU in May, and be eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The Second Degree Baccalaureate Program in Nursing leads to a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) degree.
Due to the intensive nature of the coursework, you are strongly encouraged not to have outside employment during the intense program.
For more information send an email to Lisa Garvey or call 859-622-1827.
Application Process and Forms
A. For the School of Nursing – Second Degree BSN Program:
- 2nd Degree BSN Application form (Deadline: March 1st)
- Official transcripts of all academic work (front and back copies are acceptable)
- Personal essay. Grading criteria: Organization/Writing Style and Grammar, Goals and Community Service, Consistent Values (articulates: caring humanistic view, commitment to nursing profession, honesty, and trustworthiness)
- Professional resumé
- Three professional letters of reference (Recent employer, most recent academic program, or recent service organization/volunteer work. Not family or friends. Applicant may choose any or all categories of references.)
- International students submit copies of JSILNY, WES, or ECE and TOEFL score
B. For the University:
- Complete the online Application for Undergraduate Admission using the “Apply Now” icon at the bottom of the page.
- Request official transcripts of all previous college work (except course work taken at Eastern Kentucky University) be sent to the EKU Office of Admissions
- As of January 2021, the application fee has been waived. If a fee is required, submit an application fee (this fee is specific to EKU Admissions, not the School of Nursing). Your application will not be processed without this fee. If you’re paying your application fee by check, please indicate on the check to whom the fee should be credited and the expected semester of enrollment.
- International Transfer students, please visit the International Admissions website, for a list of requirements.
If you have been enrolled in another nursing program, submit the Applicant from Another Nursing Program and Nursing School Director Reference form.