Welcome Back! We Hope You Had an Amazing Adventure!
Academic Credits from Abroad
Now that you have returned from your study abroad experience, the next step is having your transfer courses recorded from study abroad. All questions regarding study abroad courses should be directed to the Education Abroad Office and International Transcripts should be sent directly to the Education Abroad Office.
It can take several months for our office to receive your transcripts. If anything changed in your course registration while you were abroad, make sure you reach out to the Education Abroad Office about having the new course evaluated properly and articulated correctly. Delaying having your new courses evaluated by the appropriate department will also delay your transcript being recorded here at EKU.
If you participated in an EKU, KIIS, or CCSA program you will need to work with your college and departmental advisor to ensure that the course(s) appear in the correct location on your degree audit.
Ways to Stay Involved
- Share your best pictures with us (with you in them) from your time abroad. We may feature them on our website, social media, or other publications!
- Check your EKU email for upcoming Returnee Events.
- Fill out an Education Abroad Student Spotlight.
- Participate in a One Button Video Interview.
- Plan your future study (or internship) abroad experiences with the help of the EKU Education Abroad staff.
- Become an EKU Education Abroad Student Ambassador!
Education Abroad Ambassadors work as peer ambassadors to encourage other students to study abroad:
- speak at special events, presentations, information sessions, classrooms, or student clubs/orgs
- present at conferences or poster sessions
- create other methods of spreading the word about study abroad
- volunteer at events
- If you would like more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Going Abroad Again
Who says students can’t study abroad multiple times? Plenty of students go on repeat experiences around the world. Instead of another short-term program, how about selecting one of the many semester program options? Or travel to a non-traditional country?
- Schedule an advising appointment
- Reopen the Study Abroad Programs Page to find a program that interests you.
- Did you do a summer program and now you want to try a full semester? Did you study in Spain and now you want to test your Spanish in South America? Did you take courses abroad and now you want to try interning abroad? Check out more below under “For Your Consideration.”
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:
Length of Program
- Remember, Education Abroad programs come in all different lengths.
- If you went on a short-term embedded program for a few days, you might consider a 4 – 8 week summer program.
- If you went on a summer program, consider a semester or even a year abroad.
The Road Less Traveled
Half of U.S. university students who study abroad do so in the U.K., Western Europe, or Australia. Think about expanding your experience – and your mind – by studying abroad in a non-traditional location this time around:
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- The Middle East and North Africa
- Eastern Europe
- Latin America and Caribbean
You’ll also have more scholarship opportunities available to you.
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is the largest U.S. exchange program, offering opportunities for students and young professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and primary and secondary school teaching worldwide. Students can learn more about the program on Fulbright’s website and by talking to Dr. Randi Polk, the Nationally Competitive Scholarship Coordinator.
Jumpstart Your Career with Your Abroad Experience
Going abroad not only affects your outlook on life and your experience at Eastern Kentucky University, but it also gives you a significant advantage in your future career. Listing education abroad on your résumé is your first step in differentiating yourself from other competitors in the job market. Visit the Office of Advising and Career Services to learn more about how you can market your global experience!