Select Page
Military and Veteran Affairs 9 Veteran and Servicemember Checklist

Veteran and Servicemember Checklist

Please review this comprehensive checklist to apply for VA benefits, federal/state tuition assistance, and other helpful resources and information.

Questions? Ask EKU VETS!

1. Apply to EKU

Note:  If you are an active service member you should speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor prior to enrolling at EKU.

2. Apply for VA Education Benefits

Find information on GI Bill® and other education benefit eligibility here.

Select each Chapter for more information on eligibility and the application process

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill®

Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserves

You can also call the St. Louis Regional Processing Office at 888-442-4551.

3. Submit Your Course Enrollment Form and Upload your VA Certificate of Eligibility

After you register for classes please submit your Course Enrollment Form. This form is your written request to use your VA educational benefit.

Note: You must submit a Course Enrollment Form each semester after you register for classes. It only has to be submitted once, even if your schedule changes.

Once you have applied for benefits and received your Certificate of Eligibility, upload here.

Reservists/Guard ONLY: A Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) (DD Form 2384-1) can be obtained from your unit and uploaded here. Your NOBE allows our office to certify your enrollment with the VA while you are waiting on your Certificate of Eligibility to be issued (usually 30 days).

4. Request Federal or State Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance

Each branch of service has its own rules and procedures regarding Federal Tuition Assistance, but service members may be eligible for up to $4,000 in educational benefits per year. These funds are paid directly to the university to be applied towards tuition expenses.

*Note: Deadlines for requesting the KYNG Tuition Waiver are 1 October (Spring) and 1 April (Summer/Fall)

POC for the KYNG Federal Tuition Assistance/State Tuition Waiver is Mr. James McClanahan.

5. Submit your Federal Tuition Assistance Forms

Go to the Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Tuition page to submit your approved FTA Forms.

Military and Veteran Affairs

521 Lancaster Ave.
Powell Student Center 137
Richmond, KY 40475
Phone: (859) 622-2345
Fax: (859) 622-5076


Connect with OMVA @ EKU