Our college offers three Foundation Scholarships. You can apply for these scholarships on the Student Success portal and then choose RETURNING USER with your EKU login credentials.
The new application portal allows each student to submit a single application. The system automatically routes your application to all eligible Foundation Scholarships.
For help with applications, view our video walk through.
Foundation Scholarship Conditions
- Scholarship monies can be used for expenses in future terms only. Students cannot apply to be reimbursed for expenses already paid in the current or past terms.
- Applicants must be enrolled at EKU in term in which scholarship money is to be applied.
- Students may apply to use funds for EKU Education Abroad, EKU tuition/fees, and other expenses related to continuing their education at EKU.
- To use the funds for EKU Education Abroad, the student must have planned an EKU-affiliated study abroad experience that applies toward their EKU degree. Visit the Study Abroad website for approved EKU study abroad experiences.
- Students receiving financial aid are strongly encouraged to consult with the Financial Aid office as Scholarships may reallocate financial aid award.
Laura D. Kennamer Endowed Scholarship in Social and Behavioral Sciences
The late Laura D. Kennamer established this scholarship fund. Applications are accepted and reviewed twice a year (fall and spring). Fall application deadline: November 1, Spring application deadline: March 1. To apply, you need to be an EKU student majoring in the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Submit your application via the Student Success portal.
Layne-Wood Endowed Scholarship
The Layne-Wood Endowed Scholarship Fund, established by Robert G. Wood and Judy M. Layne-Wood, provides assistance to students from Kentucky.
- Kentucky resident
- Degree seeking full-time student, in good academic standing
- Enrolled at Eastern Kentucky University
- Any academic major
- 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA (college or high school)
- Community and co-curricular involvement considered
Scholarship Use and Amount
- One award given each year
- Award amount depends on market value of fund; recent awards have been between $500– $800
- Students may apply to use funds for EKU-affiliated education abroad, EKU tuition/fees, and other expenses related to continuing their education at EKU.
Please note that expenses may need to be paid in advance and students will receive funds later.
- To use the funds for Education Abroad the student must have planned an EKU-affiliated study abroad experience that applies toward their EKU degree. Visit the Study Abroad website for approved EKU study abroad experiences.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted and reviewed annually by a committee of faculty in History, Political Science, and English. Apply for the Layne-Wood Endowed Scholarship Fund on the Student Success portal. If you have any questions, please email Megan Estes by March 1st.
- 500-word essay expressing career goals
- List of community and co-curricular activities
- Three (3) letters of reference (must be NON-FAMILY members). One letter must be from an individual representing an academic discipline who is familiar with the student’s academic endeavors
- If the Scholarship will be used for a study-abroad course then a Study Abroad Projected Budget form must be included. Please note that expenses may need to be paid in advance and students will receive funds later.
- May be renewed, but applicants must reapply each year
- If you receive financial aid you are strongly encouraged to consult with the Financial Aid office as scholarships may reallocate your financial aid award.
John McMillan Long Endowed Scholarship
The John McMillan Long Endowed Scholarship, established by Marilyn H. Long, promotes the education of deserving full-time students majoring in the arts or humanities.
- Full-time student at EKU majoring in Art, Music, Theatre, English, Foreign Languages, History, Art History, Music History, Communication Studies, Philosophy, or Religion;
- 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA (college)
Apply for the John McMillan Long Scholarship on the Student Success portal.