Cap-gap extension automatically extends the duration of F-1 students status, and sometimes their post-completion OPT or STEM OPT employment authorization to September 30, if they are the beneficiaries of H-1B petitions subject to the cap accepted each year by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
To qualify for the extension, the student must be the beneficiary of an H-1B petition that meets the following conditions:
- Your employment is subject to the H-1B cap
- Application has been timely filed (within the acceptance period)
- Requested employment start date is October 1
- You have maintained your F-1 immigration status
- Your employer requested a change of status (rather than consular processing) on or after April 1