Select Page
Home 9 Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Words describing the field of Teaching.

Q: If I am accepted to EKU’s Graduate School, am I automatically accepted in the MAT program?

A: No. An applicant must complete both the Graduate School application requirements and the requirements listed on this website to be considered for admission to the MAT program.

Q: What is the Praxis Tests required for specific licensure areas (TRSLA) exam and why do I have to take it?

A: The TRSLA content assessments are national standardized tests for teacher certification. Passing scores on the TRSLA content assessments are required by the state of Kentucky to become a certified teacher. Please refer to specific TRSLA requirements listed under the middle and secondary MAT application requirements.

Applicants ONLY take the TRSLA for admission to middle grades and some secondary/5-12/P-12 certification areas. Some content areas have one exam, others have two exams. Be sure to check this website for specific requirements. Applicants DO NOT need to take the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam (PLT) for admission. This exam will be taken at the END of the MAT program in order to earn teacher certification.

Q: When are the MAT courses offered?

A: MAT professional core courses are offered 100% online. As this is a teacher licensure program, clinical preparation is required. EKU’s College of Education and Applied Human Sciences contracts with districts throughout Kentucky to arrange clinical placements and mentorship plans. You can anticipate spending a minimum of 200 hours in assigned classrooms prior to the student teaching semester. Student teaching for a full 16-week semester is required to graduate.

Q: Can I teach while I am a student in the MAT program?

A: After clear admission to the program, candidates can work as temporary provisionally certified teachers (Rank III) for up to 3 years while they are enrolled in the MAT program. Contact Dr. Julie Rutland by email or call 859-622-1043 for more information about the Option 6 program.

Q: Can I work at a job other than teaching in the MAT program?

A: The MAT program is a demanding graduate program, but candidates have been able to fit their work schedules around their clinical placements and coursework.

All candidates also must complete the student teaching practicum. During this semester-long practicum, the MAT candidate is a “student teacher” and must report to their assigned public school during the regular school hours Monday through Friday for an entire semester. Read more about student teaching here. Special arrangements are made for MAT candidates that are teaching full-time with temporary provisional certification so that they can meet the MAT program requirements in their own classroom setting.

Q: What are the tuition costs at Eastern Kentucky University?

A: 2023-24 Graduate Tuition

Q: What financial aid is available for MAT candidates?

A: At this time, there are no scholarships specifically for MAT candidates. But EKU’s Financial Aid office can provide guidance in applying for general scholarships and financial aid. Graduate assistantships are also available; application information is available from the Graduate School. Additional scholarships may be available through the College of Education.

Q: Is there a research component in the MAT program?

A: Yes. MAT candidates must complete an Action Research project during their program of study. Candidates will write a proposal for this project in ETL 805, refine their proposal prior to their practicum and conduct research during their practicum. In the capstone seminar (ETL 806), the MAT candidate will write their final research report and present their findings to a graduate committee.

Q: What if I already hold a master’s and/or Doctorate degree in my content area? Can I get teaching certification without getting an additional master’s degree?

A: The MAT admission committee will review your prior educational background and work history and may be able to recommend a certification-only program. Please email Julie Rutland for more details.

Q: After I earn teacher certification through the MAT program, can I teach in a state other than Kentucky?

A: Yes, Kentucky teacher certification can be transferred to other states through reciprocity agreements with state teacher certification agencies. Requirements vary from state to state. Check the specific requirements of the state to which you may want to move.

Master of Arts in Teaching

Julie Rutland, MAT Coordinator
Office: Bert T. Combs Bldg, Room 107; Mailing Address - Combs 427
521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, KY 40475
Phone: 859-622-1043


Connect with MAT @ EKU