Select Page

Eastern Kentucky University

Graduate Education and Research

Graduate School 5 How Do I?

How Do I?

The EKU Graduate School seeks to provide the highest level of service to our more than 2000 graduate students. On this page we are happy to answer many “frequently asked questions” that you may have prior to and during your graduate experience at EKU. You have goals, we’re here to help!



Admission Questions

How do I check my application status?

To check the status of your application, login to your applicant status portal by visiting the Admissions Office site. Once logged in, select Checklist. This portal contains your itemized application checklist.

*Please allow 3-5 business days for your application to be processed and checklist updated accordingly.

How much is the application fee?

To ease the financial burdens of our prospective students and facilitate the graduate application process, EKU is waiving the application fee – no strings attached! What are you waiting for? Apply today!

Which programs waive the GRE?

Some programs may waive the entrance exam requirement (GRE/GMAT/MAT) depending on your undergraduate GPA. Please refer to the graduate programs website to determine eligibility and target scores.

However, those desiring admission to an EKU Graduate Program with less than a 2.5 GPA undergraduate must take the GRE.

How long will it take to process my application?

The turnaround time for an admissions review is dependent upon both how quickly the applicant submits all required materials and how quickly the department completes the review. Please note: Certain times of the year, (i.e., holidays and summer breaks) may impact the processing time and result in a longer wait time.

As a general standard, the team anticipates approximately 3-5 days for the processing of an application (depending on the items noted above).

Do I need to fill out an application with both the Graduate School and the program to which I am applying?

The Graduate School application is required for all students seeking admission. Supplemental department applications do not result in admission to the Graduate School. It is very important to establish communication with both the Graduate School and the program for which you are pursuing admissions. Check with your department to see if there are any additional admission requirements besides the general EKU Graduate School application process.

How do I upload additional documents to my application after submission?

Login to your applicant status portal, go to Checklist. On the right, you will see the upload portal where you can upload additional supporting documents.

How do I update my letters of recommendation?

Login to your applicant status portal, select the ‘Checklist’ tab. At the bottom of your checklist, you will see the following statement:

“To re-send notification emails to your recommenders, re-visit the recommendations page, click ‘Edit’, and then click ‘Send Reminder’.”

Follow the link and it will direct you back to the Recommendation section to allow you to exclude a recommender, replace or edit a recommender, and/or resend a notification to your recommender.



Financial Aid/Tuition

What is the cost of tuition?

Please visit the Student Accounting Services site for more information.

What certificate programs are eligible for financial aid?

Please visit the Big E Central site for more information.




When can I register for classes?

Graduate students are the first group of students to register online every semester. See the Colonel’s Compass for exact dates in each registration period.

What does a registration error mean?

See the Colonel’s Compass Registration Errors Guide for more information.



General Questions

How do I change my concentration?

Who is my advisor?

You can view your program coordinator by checking your admission letter, checking your EKU DegreeWorks, or at the Graduate Coordinator page.

Where can I send my official transcript?

All transcripts (admission or transfer credit) should be routed to the Graduate School for review:

EKU Graduate School
Whitlock Building 310, CPO 68
521 Lancaster Ave.
Richmond, KY 40475-3168

Electronic transcripts may be submitted to

To be classified as official, the transcript must be sent to the Graduate School directly from the institution or an approved repository (National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment) or delivered to the Graduate School in a sealed and stamped university envelope.

How can I schedule a campus visit?

Register through our Undergraduate Admissions Office.

How do I become a Kentucky resident?

The Undergraduate Admissions office processes all residency requests. See residency requirements.




Graduate Education and Research

521 Lancaster Avenue
Whitlock 310 CPO 68
Richmond, KY 40475
Phone: 859-622-1742

Connect with Grad School @ EKU