Select Page

Eastern Kentucky University

Office of the Registrar

Registrar 5 Degree Works

Degree Works

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web-based degree audit tool which is designed to allow students and their advisors to track their degree progress including preparing for registration and graduation.

As a student, Degree Works will allow you to easily monitor your requirements as you complete them, and stay on track in relation to your program of study.

Degree Works is NOT a replacement for advising. You should work with your advisor and utilize Degree Works together to move efficiently toward completing your program’s requirements.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding Degree Works, please reach out to your advisor.


Frequently Asked Questions

About DegreeWorks

Q: What is Degree Works?

A: Degree Works is a Web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion. Degree Works also allows students and their advisors to plan future academic coursework.

Q: What is an audit?

A: A Degree Works audit (also called a degree audit) is a review of past, current, and “planned” (in-progress) coursework that provides information on complete and incomplete requirements necessary to complete a degree/ major/ concentration.

Q: How do I access Degree Works?

A: Degree Works is accessed through MyEKU. Any device on which you can log into MyEKU will also allow you to use Degree Works including mobile phones and tablets.

From the EKU homepage, click OneLogin. Then, under the OneLogin card, click on Degree Works.

Q: Is my information confidential?

A: Yes. Like other processed you use through MyEKU, Degree Works is accessed through your secure log in. Remember that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff will be able to view the information contained in Degree Works.

Q: Who has the ability to access Degree Works?

A: Currently, Degree Works is available to all EKU students. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

Q: How current will my information in Degree Works be?

A: The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes make today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/ dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow. Your advisor has the ability to refresh and process a new audit to pull in your latest student data to view any changes that might have happened the same day.

Q: Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

A: No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses both in-progress and in  academic history. Registration, add/ drop, requests to audit courses, etc., are handled through already-established procedures. Visit here for more details on these procedures.

Q: Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

A: Yes. Degree Works is laid out in block format displaying degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements information. Look for empty red circles to identify requirements that you still need to complete.

Q: Will I be able to plan for future courses?

A: Yes, with the help of your advisor. See the Plans section for more information.

Q: Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

A: Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works (one day after they are viewable in MyEKU). Courses in-progress are listed with an “RG” grade.

Q: Is Degree Works a transcript? Is this the same as my transcript?

A: No. Degree Works is an unofficial audit of your coursework, as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete your program of study.

Q: Can I see a list of all the classes I’ve taken?

A: Yes. Click the kebab menu in the top right corner. Then, click Class History.

Q: What do I do if I believe my information is incorrect?

A: You should contact your advisor and review your audit with them to ensure accuracy.

Q: How can I update information?

A: You cannot update course information in Degree Works. If you need to change you major/ minor/ concentration (Undergraduates only) you need to go to Major Change Form.

Using the Audit

Q: What will my audit show me?

A: Your audit will display the courses you’ve taken or are in progress. The audit will show you any degree, major, minor, or concentration requirements that are being met by the courses you’ve taken or that may be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

Q: Will I be able to view my entire history of course taken at EKU?

A: Degree Works uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed/ registered for/ transferred by the date your audit was last refreshed. (Data is refreshed nightly.) Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit.

Q: Where can I find my advisor’s contact information?

A: Your advisor’s contact information can be found by clicking the envelope button in the top right corner of the Worksheets page. You can email your advisor by clicking on their email address.

Q: How do I know what classes I need to take?

A: Your audit will outline the courses still needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may also utilize the Registration Checklist. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.

Q: My record shows that my major is still undeclared but I have declared a major. Why doesn’t my major show?

A: It can take several days to process a change of major.

Q: Where can I see my audit for my second degree?

A:: You can access your second degree audit by using the Degree drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Q: If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

A: Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient block on your audit.

Q: My advisor told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement. Why doesn’t this information appear in my audit?

A: You should contact your advisor to have any issue resolved regarding waivers, substitutions, or exceptions for major, minor, or concentration requirements.

Q: Can I print my audit?

A: You can print your audit by selecting the “Print” button at the top right corner of the Worksheets page.

Using the Planner

Q: What is the Plans feature?

A: Plans is a tool used to arrange course requirements into future semester blocks. You along with your advisor can use Plans forecast your academic career.

Q: Will putting courses in my plan change the way my audit looks?

A: No. Nothing entered into Plans will affect your main audit.

Q: What does “Hours Applied” mean?

A: “Hours Applied” is the number of hours being applied to the audit including the additional free electives and in-progress classes.

Q: I am Gen Ed Certified but it is still showing Gen Eds I still need?

A: Please look for “CERTIFIED” under gen. ed. If fully Gen. Ed. Certified no more gen. eds. are required.

Q: Will my plan be saved?

A: Yes. You must click on the Save Plan button and you should have it locked by your advisor.

Q: Will my advisor be able to see my plan?

A: Yes. Your advisor can see your plan and participate with you in the planning process. There is a Notes section within the planner, as well, for you and your advisor to keep additional information.

Q: If I put a course in my planner, am I automatically registered for that course in that future semester?

A: No. Your plans are for planning purposes only. You will register on MyEKU during your assigned registration time slot.

Q: Is the course I planned for guaranteed for that future semester?

A: No. Your planner is for planning purposes only. Final course schedules are available to students online shortly before registration. If you discover that a course you had planned is not being offered, we recommend that you find a substitute course to take and move the original course, if still needed, to a future term.

Q: Can I print my plan?

A: Yes. There is a print button at the top of the planner. It is recommended to print the Note Mode version of the plan. Also, be sure to check “View” and then print. This will only print what is in your plan.

Q: How do I delete a plan?

A: Only your advisor can delete a plan. The advisor should open your plan and select the Delete Plan button located on the bottom right hand side.

Q: What are the Notes for?

A: Your advisor may add notes to your planner to document academic advising on student records. These notes will be deleted if the plan is deleted. Be sure to copy and paste your advisor notes to your new plan and save. Otherwise they will be lost. Advisors please note: Plan Notes are subject to FERPA. For more information visit here.

Using the What-If

Q: What is the What If feature?

A: The What If function allows you to simulate a change to your major, minor, or concentration. Your new What If audit will show you what coursework is required for this major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

Q: If I use the What If feature does this mean that I have changed my major?

A: No. The What If function is for information purposes only. You will see the header What If Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on a What If scenario. It does NOT affect your true program information.

Q: Can my advisor see my What If scenario?

A: Since What If scenarios are not stored on Degree Works, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What If procedure together.

Q: Can I view multiple What If scenarios on the same screen?

A: Yes. Degree Works will allow you to select more than one major at a time, or to select multiple major(s), minor(s) and concentration(s).

Q: Can I save my What If scenario?

A: No. What If plans are not saved on Degree Works. You would need to run a new What If scenario next time you log in to see it again.

Q: If I like what I see in my What If scenario, how do I initiate those changes?

A: Speak with your advisor. If you need to change your major/minor/concentration (Undergraduates only) you need to submit a Change of Major form.


Q: What does the Term Calculator show?

A: The Term Calculator will show you your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in hypothetical grade information. By putting in your current earned credits and GPA and placing your in-progress courses in the table (this all will default in for you) along with the grade you anticipate receiving for each course; you will see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.

Q: Is this calculated GPA guaranteed?

A: No. This is an estimate only.

Q: What does the Graduation Calculator show?

A: You enter the GPA you will like to have at graduation. The Graduation Calculator will show what GPA you will need to average over your remaining semesters to obtain your desired GPA at graduation.

Q: What does the Advice Calculator show?

A: The advice calculator will show you how many credits must be earned at a certain GPA to achieve your desired GPA.


Can I print my audit?

You can print your audit by clicking on the “Print” button (envelope icon) at the top right corner of the page.

Can I print my plan?

Yes. There is a print button at the top of a given plan (envelope icon). Note that you can only print one plan at a time.

Office of the Registrar

521 Lancaster Avenue
Whitlock CPO 58, Room 239
Richmond, KY 40475-3102