Select Page

An Eastern Kentucky University accounting class is again partnering with the Central Kentucky Economic Empowerment Project and Kentucky River Foothills Community Action Agency to offer basic income tax preparation for those making $54,000 or less.

Twenty-nine students in Accounting 322, Income Tax I, will provide the free income tax preparation service. Dr. Trish Isaacs, associate professor in EKU’s Department of Accounting, Finance and Information Systems, explained that the class is offering the traditional IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) service.

In the VITA program, the IRS-certified student volunteers meet face-to-face with taxpayers to prepare tax returns for electronic filing. While meeting with the taxpayer, students prepare federal and state income tax returns, which are then reviewed by Isaacs or another reviewer before being submitted for electronic or paper filing. 

“The VITA program is a great opportunity for the students and for campus and the surrounding community,” Isaacs said. “Students apply what they are learning in the classroom, and their learning is enhanced, and community members receive a valuable service at no cost.”

VITA services are available to anyone in Richmond and Madison County who qualifies, and to EKU students, faculty and staff as well, Isaacs added. 

The EKU students will be available in Room 269 (The Business Library and Academic Commons) of the Business and Technology Center (adjacent to the EKU Center for the Arts) on the following four dates: Friday, March 3, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; Wednesday, March 8, 5-8 p.m.; Thursday, March 23, 5-8 p.m.; and Friday, March 24, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

Appointments can be scheduled through the United Way of the Bluegrass, either online at, or by calling 2-1-1 (just as you would dial 9-1-1) or Isaacs at 859-622-1590. Clients should bring the following information to the site:

·         Proof of identification (photo ID)

·         Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents 

·         An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number

·         Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN

·         Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return

·         Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers

·         Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)

·         All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements

·         Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received

·         A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available

·         Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check

·         To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms

·         Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number

·         Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements

For more information, visit or contact Isaacs at 859-622-1590 or at