Steps When Applying
- Submit an online application for the term (fall, spring or summer) you would like to begin. Students must indicate the major they wish to pursue in order for an I-20 to be issued.
- Submit a copy of your passport information page proving a valid passport.
- Submit official transcripts for all college-level coursework taken from accredited institutions in the U.S. Transcripts must be sent directly to EKU from each institution attended.Note: For college-level coursework taken outside of the United States, transcripts must be sent to ECE, Josef Silney, International Education Consultants, or a body following AACRAO evaluation guidelines for evaluation. Please choose to have a “course by course” evaluation completed. To access an EKU specific form and discounted rate for Josef Silney, please use this link: https://www.jsilny.org/pdf/EasternKentuckyUniversity-undergraduate.pdf (277 Kb).
- Provide a declaration of finances showing an account balance of no less than $34,745 USD in the form of a bank statement with a letter of authorization from the account holder. These documents must be no less than six months old from the date classes are set to begin. If a student is sponsored by their home government or another entity, please include a letter indicating the awarding of such scholarship.Notes: The declaration of finances for students seeking an Aviation – Professional Flight degree must reflect $46,709 USD to cover the additional $11,964 USD cost of flight instruction the first year. The program will cost a total of $47,857 USD extra over the four years of study.
- Provide a demonstration of English language proficiency. Before being accepted for admission to the university, international students must demonstrate their English language proficiency. For standard admission students may demonstrate proficiency by one of the following means:
- Credit for English 101 and 102 from an accredited U.S. college or university with a grade of “C” or better. (Note: coursework may not have been taken in an online or hybrid format.)
- TOEFL score of 530 (paper based), 195 (computer based), or 71 (internet based) with no band score below a 16.
- IELTS scores of 6.0 overall with 5.0 or above in EVERY subject/skill category.
- Duolingo English Test with a score of 95 or higher.
- Japanese students may submit the EIKEN test with a passing score of Pre-1.
- ACT English 18 and ACT Reading 20
- SAT Evidence-Based Reading/Writing 510
- Successful completion of the ELS Level 112 Intensive English program in the United States. (See below for details.)Note: Students seeking an Aviation – Professional Flight degree are required to demonstrate FAA Aviation English Language Standard (AELS) Proficiency Rating Scale at the Operational Level 4. Students are required to attain this standard before acceptance of a student pilot application or issuance of a student solo endorsement. Additional details are available in FAA AC 60-28B.
Countries Exempt From the English Language Requirement:
Ireland – UK – Australia – New Zealand – Canada (Except Quebec)
Commonwealth Caribbean – Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago
ELS Center – English Language Study
International students who would like to study English in the U.S. prior to attending EKU to meet our English Proficiency standard may apply to study English at an ELS center. They can apply to EKU through the ELS program and if they meet all of the admissions standards with the exception of English Proficiency, they will be offered a Conditional Letter of Admission (CLA).
Summer Session: May 1st
Fall Session: August 1st
Spring Session: December 1st
Scholarship Opportunities for International Students
Transfers from Kentucky Colleges and Universities
International students transferring from a college or university in Kentucky1 with a minimum of 24 college credits (earned beyond high school graduation) and with a college GPA of 2.5 or higher will qualify for the SMART tuition program provided they meet all of the applicable academic criteria for program eligibility.2 International students must be attending their current institution on a valid visa.
Transfers from other American Universities
International students residing in the U.S. on a valid visa and who transfer from another regionally accredited college or university1in a U.S. state or from one of the SMART Plus designated schools with a minimum of 24 college credits (earned beyond high school graduation) and with a college GPA of 2.5 or higher will be eligible for the Out-of-State Rate provided they meet all of the applicable academic criteria for program eligibility.2
1Out-of-State Rate discounts and merit scholarships do not apply to sponsored students or students enrolled in graduate studies.
2International students may be required to submit a TOFEL or IELTS English Proficiency Exam to determine admissibility to the Eastern Kentucky University. TOFEL and IELTS exams may not be used as substitution for SMART eligibility.
3International students attending ELS centers outside of the U.S. may apply for admission to EKU and compete for established ELS scholarships, but are not eligible for Out-of-State Rate tuition. ELS students who receive Out-of-State Rate tuition are not eligible for other merit-based or EKU ELS scholarships.