Select Page

Transferring Coursework from Kentucky Schools

Eastern Kentucky University participates in and subscribes to the principles of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education statewide transfer agreements. EKU will accept credits transferred from all public institutions in Kentucky and will apply them to its general education, major, and support requirements to the maximum extent specified in these agreements. Credits not identified in these agreements will be applied as free electives.

The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) and public colleges and universities in Kentucky have developed a general education core transfer component which reflects the distribution of disciplines contained within university-wide lower division general education requirements for a baccalaureate degree. The policy was established in January 1996, to aid with transfer from community colleges and other public institutions in Kentucky.

Basic Proficiencies

Students transferring to EKU with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Sciences, Associate of Science in Nursing, or equivalent degree will be considered proficient in the three basic skill areas of English (writing), mathematics, and reading. This precludes any necessity of taking developmental (090 & 095 level) courses in those basic skill areas.

General Education Certification

Students with an official transcript posted “Gen Ed Fully Certified” are considered to have fulfilled EKU’s general education requirements. Additional general education courses will be required only if specific courses are required for your major and an equivalent course has not been transferred.

If you have any question regarding your status of “Gen Ed Fully Certified”, please check with the Registrar’s Office at the institution you last attended.

The other two levels of certification are “Category Certified” or “Core Certified”. Either of these levels will make sure your general education courses will transfer as part of EKU’s general education. You should check with the Registrars’ Office at the institution you last attended if you have additional questions.

KCTCS Students with AA or AS Degrees

Students who transfer to EKU with an AA or AS degree earned since May 1995 at a KCTCS institution will be deemed to have met all EKU general education requirements with the exception of those specifically needed for a student’s major.

Students with applied degrees (AAS) from KCTCS institutions will NOT be general education fully certified at EKU, unless a notation is included on their transcript from the sending (KCTCS) institution.