Federal regulations mandate that all students make satisfactory, measurable academic progress toward completion of a degree in order to receive federal assistance through Title IV federal grant, work and loan programs.
EKU’s SAP standards comply with the requirements of the U.S. Department of Education.
There is a maximum of three EKU financial aid appeals. All three appeals must be reviewed by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee. The committee’s decision is final. After three appeals are reached, all future appeals will be denied.
The SAP process outlined below will be applied the same to all students regardless of enrollment status or program of study.
The academic progress of all financial aid applicants and recipients will be reviewed for:
Overall EKU Grade Point Average
|Degree Program||Minimum Acceptable EKU GPA|
These minimum acceptable GPAs are consistent with those in the EKU Academic Catalog.
Cumulative Credit Hour Completion Rate (Pace)
You must earn at least two-thirds or 67% of the credit hours you attempt. Example below:
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester||Total attempted (all years)||Must earn at least 67%|
|1st Year||15 hours||12 hours||27 hours||27 hours x 67% = 19 hours|
|2nd Year||15 hours||15 hours||57 hours||57 hours x 67% = 39 hours|
|3rd Year||18 hours||15 hours||90 hours||90 hours x 67% = 61 hours|
To earn hours at EKU, a student must receive a grade of A, B, C, D or S. All other grades including F, FN, I, IP, U, or W count as attempted, but not earned hours.
Maximum Time Frame for Degree Completion
- You are expected to earn a bachelor’s degree before you have attempted 180 credit hours, if your degree program requires 120 hours.
- You are expected to earn an associate degree before you have attempted 90 credit hours.
- You are expected to earn a graduate degree before you have attempted 40 credit hours.
Incomplete, bankrupted, repeated and withdrawn hours are attempted hours.
You must maintain satisfactory progress in all three areas regardless of whether or not you have received financial aid in the past.
Re-establishing Financial Aid Eligibility
With an Appeal
Complete the EKU SAP online form.
Priority deadline to submit an appeal for financial aid eligibility:
Spring 2023: January 23, 2023
Summer 2023: May 28, 2023
Fall 2023: August 21, 2023
The final day appeals will be accepted is October 31st for the fall semester, March 31st for the spring semester, and May 28th for the summer term. Appeals submitted after these dates will automatically be denied.
Without an Appeal
If you meet one of the following requirements, contact Big E Central to have your financial aid reinstated:
- You were denied financial aid because you did not meet the minimum GPA standard but have taken additional courses to bring your GPA up to the minimum.
- You were denied financial aid because you did not meet the 67% completion rate but have taken additional courses to bring your pace back to 67% or better.