Select Page
Home 9 3+2 Accelerated Dual Degree Program in English

3+2 Accelerated Dual Degree Program in English

Program Description

The Department of English’s 3+2 program allows you to integrate your current coursework for a B.A. in English degree (with capstones in literature or creative writing) with the M.A. in English and Writing Professions degree so you can complete both degrees in only five years. This is a low-risk, high-gain opportunity.


  • Save time (one academic year) and money (tuition, textbooks, etc.).
  • Build on what you’ve already achieved and segue from one program to the next, as your graduate coursework applies to your undergraduate degree.
  • Continue learning in a local, convenient, familiar environment.

Application Instructions

  • Current EKU undergraduate students pursuing a B.A. in English (literature, creative writing or technical writing concentration) can apply to the 3+2 program if they have junior or senior standing and a GPA of 3.0.
  • Complete the 3+2 Enrollment Form found on the Graduate School website which requires the approval and signatures of your current advisor, the English M.A. Program Advisor (Dr. Gerald Nachtwey, Mattox 101,, 859-622-3181), and the Department Chair (Dr. James Keller, Mattox 101,, 622-5861).
  • On approval, the Graduate School will forward the signed form to the Registrar’s office.
  • Registration staff will process the major change for you, and your degree audit will change. You will also be assigned a new advisor.
  • Only after acceptance can you register for graduate-level courses.

For More Information:
Phone: 859-622-3183

Department of English
Mattox 101
Eastern Kentucky University
521 Lancaster Avenue
Richmond KY 40475

Course of Study

As an undergraduate, you’ll take these required courses:

  • ENG 801: Introduction to Graduate Study
  • ENG 808: Studies in Modern Composition Theory
  • ENG 814: Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum

Complete your M.A. degree by applying for admission and taking just six more graduate-level courses (two semesters).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I change into the 3+2 program online?
A:  No. Students must apply to the 3+2 program using the paper form.

Q: Can I register for graduate-level courses without being accepted into the 3+2 program?
No. Undergraduates cannot take graduate-level courses. As a 3+2 student you will be in a transitional status between undergraduate and graduate student and allowed to register for graduate-level courses.

Q: Do I have to apply to the Graduate School to enroll in the 3+2 program?
As a 3+2 student, you are not enrolled in the Graduate School yet. You must apply for admission to Graduate School near the end of your undergraduate coursework if you plan to complete a master’s degree.

Q: What if I change my mind and decide not to do the 3+2 program?
You can change back into an undergraduate program. There is very little risk.

Q: What happens if my GPA falls below 3.0?
You will no longer be able to register for graduate-level courses.

Q: Is this an accelerated program of study that will be difficult to keep up with?
You should be prepared for more intensive study and higher expectations at the graduate level, so plan accordingly and talk with your professors and your advisor if you feel you might be falling behind.

Q: Might it take longer than five years to complete the 3+2 program?
Since not all courses are offered every semester, it’s important to maintain contact with your advisor when registering so the proper courses are taken at the right time; otherwise, your degree progress will be slowed.


521 Lancaster Avenue
106 Beckham Hall
Richmond, KY 40475
Phone: 859-622-5861
Fax: 859-622-3156

Connect with ENG @ EKU