Select Page
Home 9 Recreation and Park Administration 9 Bachelor of Science

Bachelor of Science

The Department of Recreation and Park Administration offers the Bachelor of Science degree (120 hours) in Recreation and Park Administration with four concentrations: Natural Resources and Recreation Management, Recreation Management and Event Planning, Recreation Therapy, and Tourism and Resort Recreation.

Students who transfer from another college or university must earn a minimum of 12 hours at Eastern in their major.

The Bachelor of Science degree requires a minimum grade “C” in all REC courses specified for the major and curriculum concentration. All REC core and REC concentration courses must be completed prior to enrollment in REC 463, Practicum.

RPA major students pose for a photo at a recreational facility

What Can I Do With This Major?

Lost and wondering what you can do with a degree in Recreation and Park Administration? The sky is absolutely the limit as to what you can do! From working with the Military MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation), to being an interpretive guide for the National Park Service, to designing recreational programming for children with disabilities, to planning events for Hawaiian resorts – let your imagination guide you to your ideal job!

Visit What Can I Do With This Major to learn more about this exciting degree!

Bachelor of Science Degree Concentrations

Natural Resources and Recreation Management

This concentration is designed for students interested in working in state park settings and with federal outdoor recreation agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service and Corps of Engineers. Students in this curriculum concentration may also be interested in the business and profit motive capabilities of outdoor adventure pursuits.

Recreation Therapy

Students in this concentration are typically interested in working in hospitals, clinics, and rehabilitation centers. Their interests are with a variety of clientele groups such as the mentally challenged, physically challenged, psychiatric patients, senior citizens, and youth-at-risk. Most therapeutic recreation majors select one or two populations of persons they are most interested in working with in a recreation setting. Some students enter the career area of community therapeutic recreation and work with a local/county/metro park and recreation department serving the needs of special populations. Students graduating with this concentration meet the requirements necessary to become a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS).

Recreation Management and Event Planning

This concentration is designed for students interested in working for city/county/metro parks and recreation departments. Students also land jobs with nonprofit community agencies, such as YMCA/YWCA, 4H, or scouting programs. Students may also be interested in working in military/MWR settings, campus recreation, or special event planning.

Tourism and Resort Recreation

Students choosing this concentration are interested in working in a resort setting or in some tourism related capacity. Internship opportunities vary from coastal resort settings, such as Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach; to cruise lines; to local and state tourism offices; to theme parks; to special event planning.

Recreation and Park Administration

521 Lancaster Avenue
Combs 208
Richmond, KY 40475
Phone: 859-622-1833

Connect with RPA @ EKU