Select Page

Eastern Kentucky University

Office of the Registrar

Registrar 5 Pre-Commencement FAQ

Pre-Commencement FAQ

Q: What if I’m off campus or an online student (excluding doctoral)?

A: If you are an online or off-campus student and will be attending the commencement ceremony but are unable to attend GradFest, an order link will be made available after the GradFest event is over. Please continue to monitor your EKU email for commencement updates.

Q: What is the graduation fee for?

A: The graduation fee partially offsets the production and mailing of diplomas and certificates.

Q: What is the difference between the graduation fee and the charge for my regalia?

A: The graduation fee covers expenses incurred in awarding, producing and mailing diplomas, as well as official graduation transcripts. Each student who graduates receives an EKU diploma and an official transcript listing their awarded credentials: degree, minor, concentration, certificate, etc. Each student individually decides whether they will attend a graduation ceremony and reception—only those who attend must have regalia—and therefore, the cost of regalia is a separate and distinct charge.

Q: What is regalia?

A: Regalia refers to the caps, gowns, hoods and sashes worn by participants at the commencement ceremony.

Q: Where do I get graduation announcements/invitations and class rings?

A: Jostens is the contracted vendor that provides personalized announcements. Personalized announcements take two weeks to be produced. The EKU Bookstore also has generic announcements for sale. Invitations, announcements and class rings can be ordered during GradFest or directly from Jostens.

Q: What’s happening at the commencement ceremony?

A: Candidates will walk across the stage individually by department to receive a diploma cover, and individual professional photos will be taken by GradImages.

Q: Where do I get my cap and gown?

A: Caps, gowns, hoods for graduate students, and honors sashes can be picked up during GradFest.

Q: Who do I contact with questions about purchasing regalia or my cap/tassel, gown and hood?

A: Please contact the Barnes and Noble EKU Bookstore at 859-622-2696.

Q: I’m a graduate student. What do I need to do to attend commencement?

A: Attend GradFest! GradFest is not just for undergraduates. This is also where you will pick-up your packaged master’s regalia, including your master’s hood. For additional information about regalia and GradFest, please visit our GradFest page.

Q: Do I really need to go to GradFest?

A: Yes! GradFest is for all graduating students: Associates, Baccalaureate, Master’s, and Specialist. GradFest only takes a few minutes of your time, but provides you with everything necessary to make commencement a success and to make sure your diploma is correct and is mailed to the proper address. GradFest is THE opportunity to acquire your cap and gown and offers a chance to buy invitations and class rings, get professional portraits made, and make arrangements to deal with your student loans. GradFest is scheduled during the day and evenings for two days each semester to accommodate students that work and have other obligations.

Q: What if I missed GradFest?

A: If you are unable to attend GradFest, you can still place your order through the EKU Graduation Regalia Order Page. This link will become available after GradFest and will be sent to graduates via email. Regalia will be available for pick-up at the Barnes & Noble EKU Bookstore located on the EKU Richmond campus. This service will still be available once GradFest is over, and will continue through the day of your commencement ceremony.

Q: What name appears on my diploma?

A: You indicate how you want your name to be printed on your diploma when you apply for graduation. The last name on your diploma must be the legal name that is listed in EKU’s database but you may choose to have your preferred first name printed on the diploma. Middle names are optional on the diploma, and a middle initial may be used in place of a full middle name. Maiden names may be used as second middle names if requested. Suffixes may be used if they are part of the legal name on record at EKU. For more details about your diploma, go to the Diploma page.

Q: What else is on my diploma?

A: Your name, degree, primary major and secondary major are on your diploma. Concentrations and minors are not shown on your diploma, but they will be on your transcript.

Q: When will I receive my diploma?

A: Diplomas will be mailed out approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks after degree conferral. Degree Conferral dates can be found on the Diploma Page Your diploma and a copy of your official EKU transcript will be mailed to you as long as you do not have outstanding financial obligations to the university. For more details about your diploma, go to the Diploma page.

Q: When will I get my diploma/transcript if I have a hold?

A: If you have a student accounting hold, your transcript and diploma will be held until you have met your financial obligations to the university. Your diploma and transcript will be released after you have notified us that your hold has been released. Please email email Big E Central to have your diploma and transcript mailed.

Q: What if my diploma address changed after I submitted my graduation application?

A: Diplomas are mailed to the address provided on the graduation application. If the address changes before the diploma has been printed, students must use this form to update their diploma address.  

Q: What if my name changed after I submitted my graduation application?

A: Variations of a graduate’s official name may be printed on a diploma. Variations of a name must be requested when submitting a Graduation Application. If the name changes before the diploma has been printed, students must use this form to update their diploma name and include all appropriate documentation.

Q: What if I still have work “In-Progress”?

A: Students with work “In-Progress” or who have classes with grades of “Incomplete” will be allowed to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. However, all “In-Progress” work and “Incomplete” grades must be converted to official grades by the degree conferral date in order for a degree to be awarded during any given term.

Q: What do I need to do if I am no longer eligible to graduate?

A: Contact a College Graduation Expert in your College and request deferral to the following semester as soon as possible. This will enable your graduation application to be transferred to the following semester and will enable you to register for any classes you need to complete your degree. Be sure to email from your EKU email account and include your name and EKU ID in your email.

Didn’t find the answer you needed?

See our Graduation Application FAQ and our Student Graduation Day FAQ. Still no luck? Email Big E Central with any additional questions you might have.

Office of the Registrar

521 Lancaster Avenue
Whitlock CPO 58, Room 239
Richmond, KY 40475-3102